Friday, November 2, 2007

Red Thread Quilt

Tonight my good friend, Celeste, took time out of her busy life to help me shop for some quilting materials to make a quilt for Danielle. Many people who adopt from China make what is called a 100 Good Wishes Quilt. To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or "100 Good Wishes Quilt." It is a custom to invite 100 people to contribute a single square patch of cloth. The 100 patches are sewn together into a quilt that contains the luck, energy, and good wishes from all the families and friends who contributed a piece of fabric. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation. I loved this idea, but decided to go a different route. I came up with the idea to make a Red Thread Quilt. Posted on the top of my blog is the explanation of a Red Thread Journey: 'Chinese folklore says there is an invisible red thread connecting those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but never break.' I thought that it would be really neat to make a quilt that Danielle could have and cherish, that had the names of all of the people that helped to bring her home. So...what I am going to do, is have everyone who played a part in this adoption (case workers, notaries, oprhanage directors, foster family members, etc - the list is endless), sign a piece of fabric. I am then going to embroider over their signature with red thread and piece the quilt together with some silk fabric that I am planning on buying in China. Tonight I purchased the "signature" fabric and some accessories. I am very excited about this and I hope that it turns out like I am envisioning it to be. I really hope that in the future, it will really be meaningful to Danielle. I am hoping that she will be amazed at how so many people came together for a common goal - to bring Danielle home to the family that God destined her to be a part of forever!!

4 comments:

The Millers said...

We hope to do the quilt as well. I have not collected our fabric square yet, but hope to do that when we return home. We are almost there guys!! We can hardly stand it and know you feel the same. So thankful to be traveling this journey with you and look forward to a new friendship!

Melissa

Ellen and Kevin Fay said...

Darcy: What a great idea. I am sure Danielle will treasure it always. And I made Frannie a sock monkey quilt -- I think it's symbolic of our babies' moms. Ha ha. Looking forward to seeing you on Friday! Ellen

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Come on Darci - Give us something before you all leave! We can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Hi Darcy. I assembled and sent off your dossier to the CCAA. My role at HFC has changed now but I would still love to sign your quilt! What a treasure this quilt will be. I can't wait to see it when it's done.

Karen Hogle