Monday, July 20, 2009

Random Ramblings (see below for other post from today with more pictures)

The main purpose of this blog is to document my trip to China as I adopt my son, but I also want to share this journey with you!! This post is just going to be a bullet post of random things and thoughts that I may have forgotten to put in previous posts. Some may sound negative, but I want to remember the good, the bad and the ugly!!!

- Chinese dept stores are TOTALLY inefficient!! When you find what you want, the sales person in that dept. holds onto your item and writes up a receipt. You then take this paper to a cashier and pay for it, then you take your receipt BACK to the dept (after stamped paid) and pick up your item!!!
- I miss ice in my drinks
- I am tired of eating every meal in a restaurant - and I am tired of Chinese food!
- I don't miss cooking!
- I am tired of my hotel room....
- but I love having someone else clean my room!!!
- I do not miss doing laundry, but am tired of living out of a suitcase
- Taking a 2 year old to a breakfast buffet every morning alone is NOT relaxing
- Having a 2 year old have random fits is not amusing (can't wait to get home and work on fixing that)
- Chinese cartoons are not funny (at least I don't think they are)
- Pollution makes my throat hurt - every day! (I should have had a chest x-ray before and after my trip just to see!)
- squatty pottys at Tianamen Square are N-A-S-T-Y
- make sure potty door at above mentioned public restrooms is locked - or else above 2 year-old will open - mid stream!!!
- our guide refers to the orphanage as "the college" - huh
- adoption paperwork in Beijing is ANNOYING!!!
- if you ever come to Beijing for more than a weekend, don't stay at the Yuyang Hotel. It is very nice, but not in a nice area of town. There is absolutely nothing within walking distance so you will be stuck in your hotel room...and don't get a massage across the street, it is run by prostitutes (no, that is NOT where I had my massage)
- having a HUGE picture window (with metal blinds) between the shower and the bed is VERY weird, but functional when you are alone with a 2 year old and need to get clean!
- having a government censor your internet access and TV is maddening!!! I guess it does aid in reinforcing Chinese propaganda!!!
- bathing caps (which are required for all people to wear in swimming pools - even children) are NOT attractive!!
- sunscreen is not really necessary when pollution is so thick - at least I didn't need it!!
- I have never watched so much ESPN in all my life - at least THAT wasn't censored!!!
- the hotel maids play sick shower nozzle games...everyday it is pointing a different direction and hoses a new section of the bathroom!!
- never forget to take tissue into a bathroom with you - you never know when a stall isn't going to have any...say for instance the T. Square public one!

3 comments:

Ellen and Kevin Fay said...

Ha ha. Good post. Funny how focused we become on POTTIES. We will make a list of your recommendations. :)

Donna said...

Oh the joys of China! Hopefully things will get better once you get to familiar ground in GZ and can get out and walk around everywhere yourself.

Anonymous said...

How do you really feel about everything - love ya & praying that everything will go smoothly so you can come home on time! Love, Mom