Friday, July 24, 2009

Shopping and visas!!

I am LOVING being back on Shamian Island - it feels like an old friend!! Originally my adoption agency wanted to put us in a hotel off the Island - and I fought that!! I don't care if the rates were better, by the time we reached Guangzhou, I was ready for some "westernized" culture!! I honestly don't know why my agency wanted to put us up elsewhere - this really is the best place to be!! I am just grateful that the other families in my group wanted to stay here as well - we are all united in this is the best place to stay. Especially after the last hotel our agency picked - again, nice hotel, terrible location!! I must say, that the other 2 families that have been with me have been great. It is going to be so weird not to see them everyday. We all got along great, and as far as I could tell, there were no disagreements!! In fact, everyone was great with helping me carry my stroller up and down stairs as needed. China is not very stroller accessible. Despite the fact that Steve couldn't come and that I missed my family terribly, this has been a great trip. There were so many potential problems that I was expecting when I left the States, but all in all, we made it through as scheduled!! I can only attribute that to God answering all of our prayers!! Praise to Him!!!

So, what have I been doing the last 2 days? SHOPPING!! I came here thinking that I didn't need to buy that much stuff, since I stocked up a year and a half ago, but guess what? I was wrong!! I am hoping to stuff everything into my 2 suitcases, or else I will have to buy another small one - YIKES!! I just returned from shopping with Ann from Red Thread - man, is she the best!! She gets us such great deals that it is so hard to pass up. She said that her shopping guide business has been slow...what are you people thinking??? If any of you are coming to China soon, you need to hook up with Ann!! She can get amazing prices on pearls, jade and traditional clothing, just to name a few! You can save at least 50% of what you would pay on the Island. Call her - she is awesome!!!

Oh, the good news. We had our consulate appt. scheduled for Thurs. the 23rd. Our guide, Helen, took all of our paperwork to the appt and said that she would call us by noon to tell us how it went. Well, Adam's phone rang at 10:30 (he was the contact person with the cell phone - we all shopped together while we waited for Helen's call). So Maria and I were nervous, thinking that there was a problem, but no!!! Everything was great!! In fact, since only 6 families had their appt on the 23rd, they decided to mover our oath ceremony to Thurs. afternoon (instead of Fri). This is huge!! So, at 2:45 we boarded the bus and went to the US Consulate for our swearing in ceremony and to receive our US immigration paperwork (including Michael's visa that had created such a problem before I left). It was great!! After our oath, Maria and I looked at each other and we both had been crying. Everything was done, we were free to go home - PRAISE GOD!! So we all celebrated by having dinner at Lucy's, and then we spent Friday shopping and packing. We are all ready to go home and start our lives with our family!! This afternoon I am going to take Michael to the pool, grab some Italian dinner, pack and go to bed...I leave early in the morning for the airport!! I will be arriving in Atlanta around 7 pm - I can't wait to see my wonderful husband and beautiful girls. This has been a long journey in so many ways, I am glad that it is coming to an end and we can begin our life as a family of 6!! Oh, and I guess that I have to start cooking and cleaning again - not looking forward to that!! Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement, I couldn't have done it without any of you. Next post - from home!! PRAISE THE LORD!!!!

5 comments:

Donna said...

YAHOO!!! Get that baby boy home :)

Ellen and Kevin Fay said...

See my comments I posted late on the other day -- :) Yeah Red Thread! Yeah Shopping! Yeah Shamain (sp?) island!

Kim said...

Glad you are almost home!!

Unknown said...

Thank God all went through a hoped. Cant wit to see the two of you.

Mike and Kelly said...

Welcome home Darcy and Michael, and congratulations to Steve and Darcy to having that beautiful little boy!!